Welcome to the Small Systems Laboratory
at Worcester Polytechnic Institute
The Small Systems Laboratory (SSL) is dedicated to the development of multi-functional materials, devices and systems at the macro-, micro-, meso- and nanoscales. Our work spans in multiple areas bridging multiple disciplines and multiple length scales. Facilities at SSL include fabrication and characterization units for advanced materials, device processing and testing and biomaterials characterization. Access to the clean room facilities around the Boston area adds to the excitement of student learning as well as experimentation. Specific ongoing research projects are in the area of novel nanocomposites, energy efficient materials and devices, stimuli responsive materials, photoconductive devices and nanotube-CTC-Chip.
Students in SSL and undergraduate students at WPI have a unique opportunity to work in interdisciplinary projects with knowledge in several disciplines to train themselves and contribute towards globally engaged science and engineering workforce for the future. Specifically, the MQP projects at WPI with focus in area of micro and nanotechnology adds excitement to the students where they get to work as a team with graduate students from the laboratory in line with the Boyer’s model. We are constantly looking for outstanding and motivated students who can challenge themselves and work in a dynamic environment.
- Congratulations to Mr. Masoud Loeian on a new article in Lab on a chip (just accepted; please stay tuned for the paper)
- We are always looking for exceptional students. Please contact Dr. Panchapakesan at email@example.com
- Dr. Panchapakesan is a keynote speaker at SelectBio Asia Diagnostics Summit in Taiwan, November 2018.
- Dr. Sadegh Mehdi Aghaei joins Small Systems Laboratory. Welcome, Sadegh.
- The droplet biopsy chip invented by Dr. Panchapakesan was covered by Genetic and Engineering News in an article titled “Teasing out Circulating tumor DNA”, Feb.1, 2018
- Congratulations to Vahid Rahneshin on his second paper in Nature journal Scientific Reports. Congrats! Vahid. Paper
- Congratulations to Masoud Loeian on his first paper in Nature journal Scientific Reports. Congrats Masoud! Paper
- Dr. Panchapakesan is the speaker at MassMedic Annual Conference on May 3rd.
- Dr. Farhad Khosravi accepted a job at Vista Therapeutics in Santa Fe, New Mexico. Congratulations Farhad and Good Luck! We will miss you!
- Dr. Panchapakesan is one of the invited speakers at the Nano World Conference in Boston (April 3rd-5th , 2017; http://jnanoworld.com/nwc/featured-speakers)
- Dr. Panchapakesan is one of the invited speakers at the World Circulating Biomarker Conference in Boston (March 20-21, 2017). Here